Sunday, April 13, 2014

Weekly Smeared Ink DT Project

Feels great to be home and can't wait to get back to crafting.  We are just finishing up Spring Break here and the kids and I were gone all week.  Had a great time with both sets of grandparents and took all three kiddos on a backpacking trip in Moab, UT.   So between laundry and unpacking the car my breaks are trying to get some posts and online eye candy in.  So much to catch up on!

On to my Smeared Ink Weekly Design Team Project.  I have created a recipe box out of necessity.  I have one notebook where I place my fav's, but it got left behind at a friend house, eeekkkk!  So now I have decided to create a new box to place my fav's and it WILL NOT leave my house.  Remember to check out the Smeared and Smudged Forum for my teamies wonderful weekly projects, or click on their names on the left side to get to their blogs.

I was in Santa Fe, NM a couple of weekends ago and found a fabulous little stamp shop in downtown.  Picked up a couple of "must have's" and the stencil used on the front and back of my box is one of those.

I have used Smeared Ink Rubber Club stamps from the Past Offerings Rubber Club and am waiting to get my Build A Zombie Alphabet, which is one of two of April's Featured Sets, for the letters to spell "Recipes" and other fun words dealing with food and eating.
My pages are stamped, stenciled, and printed out.


Appetizing Deets

I started with a Tampax box.  Tore off the top flaps.  Adhered Newsprint Designer Paper (retired SU!) all over the box with Tombow glue.  Set aside to dry.

Danse Macabre from Past Rubber Club Offerings used on side and on pages.  (Set is also availabe in Digi HERE)
Blue skull page is from the Smeared Ink Digital Paper set Cranium.  Color is altered and printed out in a smaller size.

Finished my box with Black Gesso around all edges to help cove the color the original box and to hold a all the torn pieces in place.

Once everything is in place, the words, I will go over each panel with Crystal Effects to give a shiny finish and to hold it all together.

Photo 1
Once dry, I placed Mexican Skull stencil, from The Crafters Workshop, directly onto box side.  Spritzed with Dylusions Ink Sprays.  Placed a piece of white card stock over top to get the negative, which will be used on the other side of box.

Inked my homemade gelli plate up and you can see the acrylic paints and images around the edges.  Used another stencil called Ring Dolly, also from The Crafters Workshop, along the left edge with sponges and ink.

Pearl Jewels for eyes colored in with black Sharpie.  Fine Tip black Sharpie to outline the stencil a bit to see more of the skull image.

Photo 2
Used the negative from the first side.  Tore edges and adhered to side.
Ring Dolly Stencil used once more along once side with sponge and ink.
Pearl Jewels for eyes.

Photo 3 - Box Inside
Cut up a 12"x 12" DP from My Minds Eye and then spritzed with Maya Red Spray. 
Placed a stronger piece of cardboard in the bottom which was distressed with Early Espresso ink around edges.
Used Lace Ribbon Border Punch (retired SU!) for edging with scrap DP.  Adhered to front and back edges.
Placed brads on each bottom corners, and on front and back of box.
Spritzed DP then adhered over to make a nice clean finish for box inside.

Side Panel
Rubber stamp from set Danse Macabre (January 2014) on torn Whisper White card stock.
Whisper White card stock background from gelli plate scraps.
All materials used are current Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted.

1 comment:

  1. wow this is great! I am all for some recycling and you really would never have guessed what this started it's life as! Such fabulous use of colour and the stamps xxx

    ReplyDelete