Friday, March 22, 2013

Whaddya Think?

When I first joined Smeared and Smudged I immediately checked out the challenges.  The project that I am posting today is for a Junk Funk challenge where you recycle something in your home.  This month it is newspaper.
Now you can do a lot with newspaper and my initial go to was paper mache.  But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to do something different, out of the box.
My inspiration for this project was the face coming out of the wallpaper, only with newspaper.  I scrunched and spritzed and glued for an outcome that I never knew I could create.  All I did was try, and so should you.
I am also going to join in the Left of Center Creative Challenge this round.
I thought it would be fun to make the picture look like it was the "morning" paper.
So, Whaddya Think?

THE DEETS:
I started with scrunching up about 1/4 of one newspaper page.
Then scrunched up and spritzed with water 1/2 of a page.  This 1/2 page went over the smaller balled up one to help form the bulk of the head.
I glued the top 1/2 down, with Tombow, on all sides to another piece of newspaper as the base.
I then formed the head by pulling and scrunching to make the mouth and eyes.
Once I had the basic form of the face, I tore off more pieces of newspaper to go around the sides to help with the look of the face coming out of the newspaper base.
I made sure to dry after any water or spritzing just in case of molding.

I spritzed with a mixture of alcohol, re-inker, and water.  I used Old Olive, Cherry Cobbler, Crumb Cake re-inkers (SU!).

I stamped the flame images (The Great Outdoors stamp set - SU!).  Then colored in with markers and punched out.  I set in eye sockets and covered with Crystal Effects.

Once the eyes were dry I went randomly over raised areas and around base with an Acrylic Paint Dabber, Espresso.  Then used a sponge as well with the same paint.

I wanted to Steampunk this up a bit, so I Versa Marked a small 3" x 3" piece of newspaper.  Then used Pewter Embossing Powder to emboss.  I impressed the cogs (on head and side) with the stamps from a set called Clockworks (SU!).  Cut them out and tore strips to add faux metal to project.
Raided my husbands tool box and found some washers, screws, and other metal objects which were glued down.

I spitzed again with Tattered Angels Chalkboard called Alaskan Salmon and Gold Smooch Spritz (SU!) to finish off the coloring on the project.

I found some headlines in our local paper and adhered them with Crystal Effects.

Since I wanted to make the head look like it was out of the paper itself, I glued newspaper base to 1/2 of a piece of newspaper.  Once dry, I again glued the bigger base to the left side of our local paper.  I used Crystal Effects to adhere all the edges of each base down.

(SU!) - Stampin' Up!






10 comments:

  1. This is amazing Shoni.... i just had to pop by to tell you again how wonderful and unique i think this is.... it really is a stroke of genius.
    BDx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great piece of art.

    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beyond amazing... totally off the charts fabulous! I love the way you used the newspaper and the steampunk touches are brilliant! Thanks so much for joining us at Left of Center!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! What a fantastic mind you have to think up something like this :D Thank you so much for playing along with ust at Left of Center xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. just an enormous BIG WOoooWWWW from this corner as well. Love how this really does look like it coming through the paper. Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your piece frickin rocks! I've never seen such an original, amazing piece using newspaper. Totally bad-ass in the best of ways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is flippin' amazing! I would so freak out if that scary thing came out of my morning paper, fabulous creation. Thanks for sharing your talent with us over at Left of Center Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, this is about the coolest thing I've ever seen! uber creepy! WooHoo! almost makes me want to resubscribe to the newspaper. LOL Fabulously creative, Shoni! I'm in serious awe! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thank you all for your comments. I was a little worried that is was TOO MUCH, but could not let my doubts stop me from following through on my idea. Again, this was more than I expected and I LOVE IT! Wish I could send this out to you all..., s.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like in the series of Bones, astonishing artwork, thanks for participating at LOC

    ReplyDelete